It is not always necessary to opt SEO services from an agency or hire an SEO expert for your website promotion. You can do it yourself (DIY) too! Yes it’s possible, the only bet is to do it in right way.
During this course of digital marketing consultation, I usually get chance to meet many new #entrepreneurs and small business owners seeking the right process and effective methods to build online presence through different digital marketing verticals and SEO has been always one of their priorities. The amazing part is that they talk about SEO techniques which they have tried on their website to get good rankings.
Somehow, DIY SEO is essential to new and small-businesses because of several reasons (based on my meetings with various prospects) –
- Budget – the main and biggest reason.
- Learning – There are lot of blogs and learning material on the web on Search engine optimization. So, why to invest money? Instead invest time and learn something new.
- Risk management – Some website owners think that there is lot of risk to hire any SEO as nobody gives guarantee to rank their website.
SEO is vast and before you start doing it yourself; you need to understand that it is a continuous process of learning new algorithm updates by Search engines and practicing new trends.
Following are the top 10 Do It Yourself SEO tips which you can (should) try while optimizing your website –
- Read Google Search engine optimization starter guide – Before anything you do, start reading the official SEO Starter Guide by Google. This includes lot of good information on optimizing your website and will surely gives a confidence to do it yourself.
- Choose the right set of keywords – Use Google Keyword Planner to check and analyze the most relevant keywords that users are searching for your products and services. Think as a user and see your competitors’ websites as well. Check what keywords they have put on their web pages in Title, META and content.
- Proper keyword density in your content – Put your targeted keywords and phrases in your content on different pages but in a proper density i.e. 2-6%. Best is to follow 2 keywords 1 page SEO policy to define your one page for two targeted keywords. Your content should be unique, fresh, interesting, useful and relevant to your audience. Never copy from any other website and even over-do it. Google is much smarter to find unethical practices and can penalize your website.
- Do all SEO basics –
- Create unique titles and META description tags for each web page. These two are the most important factors from an SEO point of view. Titles should be of max. 65 characters and should contain your targeted keywords and META description for the page can go 160 characters & should be a Call-to-Action paragraph to grab your users’ attention.
- Add heading to your pages in Heading Tags i.e. H1, H2, H3, H4, H5. Use your primary keyword in H1 can help a lot.
- Optimize your images by placement of alt tags; so they can be readable by Search engine robots and you can benefit from “Image Search Results”. Image optimization is a MUST-thing if you are an e-commerce website owner where you have lots of images listing for a particular product in a catalog or a SaaS provider to show different screenshots of your software.
- Setup a blog – Blog can be a great tool to multiply traction and overall branding of your website. I always recommend WordPress to be used for blogging, there are lots of search engine friendly themes and templates you can go with. It’s open source, free, easy to configure and full of essential plugins to improve your SEO and traffic. But blogging is hard-work and you need to be very consistent in updating it with interactive posts to engage your users.
- Use SEO tools for advancement and analytics –
- Generate an XML sitemap and Submit it to Google Webmaster Tool – XML sitemap is one of the protocol to allow search engine crawlers to index URLs / pages on the website. By submitting it to Google Webmaster Tools, you can check your website indexing volume on Google. And creating XML sitemaps is super-quick through XML-sitemaps.com
- Be on Popular Social Media Sites – Heard about social media signals? here you go then. Signups to all popular social media sites, do your profiling and start posting about your products / services / company announcements / discounts / free-trials to build fans acquisition and engagement. I strongly suggest to start with the most popular Facebook, LinkedIn, Quora and Twitter.
- Analyse your competitors – Check those having good rankings and analyze their website architecture, content and backlinks. Try to accumulate all of their good points in terms of SEO and execute them on your website.
- Read popular SEO blogs and news websites like SEOroundtable.com and Searchengineland.com – These sites can help you updated with all new trends, algorithm updates and recent changes happening in SEO and digital marketing domain. Bookmark these sites now!